Sunday, January 4, 2009

Herping

First of all, I would like to introduce the term *Herping*
Its basically getting into a forest or bushes, search for animals and study their ecosystem but if possible, hunt them ! =)

Well, this was my first herping trip, entered Hutan Lipur Ulu Bendul situated in Seremban around 7pm, it was so dark to walk along the path, dark as in black, needed a torch light to walked towards the camp site and it was real far, approximately 2 hours walk.

I've never been so close to nature before, setting up tent at 9.30pm, got bitten by horrible leeches, started fire by using twigs around me and worst of all, not seeing anything in front of me.

While walking towards our camp site, we herped along the path and bushes for reptiles and insects. I was amazed to see creatures crawling around a tree searching for food. You can only see all those when the sun goes down . . .

After setting up our camp and rested, we started herping deeper into the forest and this are some species that we discovered,

Mini scorpion, this species are the one that been processed into key chains as they cant grow big in size

Another species of centipedes

Some kind of lizard, not defined ...

Bell's anglehead lizard (Gonocephalus bellii)
I discovered this creature by shining around the trees. Fierce and aggressive dragon.

Marble slender toed gecko (Cyrtodactylus quadrivirgatus)

Forest skink (sphenomorphus scotophilus)

Earless agamid (Aphaniotus fuscus)

Peter's slender toed gecko (Cyrtodactylus consobrinus)


Blunt headed slug snake (Aplopeltura boa)
Very tame, small in size but quite long
My new pet . . . =)

Green centipede
Scariest creature I encountered . . .

Silver millipede ? ? ?

Kazat ! ! !
Some kind of beetle

Tools for snake catching

When we woke up the next day, found a big hole on my friends bag, LoL
It was bitten by a jungle rat, all the food was scattered beside our tent . .

Since this was my first time herping, I considered it a great experience, mostly caught was lizards, didn't knew that lizards can be so beautiful compared to the ones we found at home.

Thanks to Austin and Ah Kart for this unique experience.

Mother nature is awesome

No comments: